Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is not a new concept. It has been used in Arthrology and Dermatology for years. Although nowadays it is also used in combination with fertility treatments such as IVF and IUI to improve egg quality, uterine lining thickness, and endometrial receptivity. There are basically, 4 types of PRP preparation, Platelet Rich, Leucocyte Rich with Platelet Rich, Fibrin with platelets, and Fibrin-Platelets-leucocyte.
What are PRP and its Concept?
PRP is defined as an autologous blood sample, which is having 4-5 times more platelets than the native blood sample. PRP works on the similar concept of platelets that is the property of natural healing. In PRP, the percentage of natural healing properties and regenerative behavior is very high. These platelets release granules having growth factor that heals the injury on anywhere in the body.
Why is PRP used in Combination with IVF?
The major reason to use PRP is thin endometrium. The thickness of the endometrium is a marker of endometrial receptivity. Dr Shivani Sachdev Gour – the best Gynaecologist in Delhi recommends the PRP in the following cases.
- If the thickness of the endometrium is less than 7-8 mm.
- If premature ovarian failure occurs.
- If recurrent embryo implantation failed in the IVF process.
How to Prepare PRP in Labs?
PRP is a concentration of the patient’s own platelets that is injected back when required to heal any muscle or injury. Every 10 ml blood gives 1 ml of PRP.
- A sample of blood is collected normally, anywhere from the body.
- Blood is separated into its different components (Plasma, Platelets, RBC, WBC) using a soft spin under a centrifugal force of 1200 RPM for almost 15 minutes. The resultant, first layer contains Plasma and WBC, the second layer is a buffy layer having rich in WBC, the third layer is RBC.
- Again, the first (plasma and WBC) and the second layer (buffy layer) are taken out and rotated at 3300 RPM, it is called hard spin.
- The segregated plasma is now rich in platelets and collected to prepare the injection.
How does PRP help in Fertility Treatments? IVF Packages in Delhi NCR
PRP is used in various fertility treatments including IVF and IUI to tackle premature ovarian failure, recurrent implantation failure, and refractive thin endometrium.
- To Improve Egg Quality: PRP can help in improving oocyte quality. PRP is injected into the ovaries and stimulates the organ to produce more quality eggs.
- To improve Endometrial Receptivity: PRP is infused in the uterus almost 48 hours prior to the embryo transfer to develop the Uterine lining.
- To curb Asherman’s Syndrome: Asherman’s syndrome is the formation of scar tissue in the uterine cavity. Injecting PRP revives the tissues of the cavity due to its rejuvenating properties.
How safe is PRP to treat Infertility?
Since it is generated from autologous blood samples, so there are the chances of transmission of blood-borne viral, risk of immunogenic reaction, and cancer. This process is still in the experimental phase and experts have to explain the possible demerits to the patients before starting the process. For any query on infertility, contact SCI IVF Hospital – the best infertility clinic in Delhi NCR.