A Doppler ultrasound is a kind of noninvasive test that is conducted in order to estimate the blood flow through the blood vessels. A Doppler ultrasound is used to study the blood clots, poorly functioning valves, defects in heart valve, blocked artery and many others. By conducting the test the doctors can visualize the blood movement through veins, arteries and blood vessels with the help of sound waves. It can also be used to diagnose the restricted blood flow, and even the fetal health. It can also give parents a picture of baby in-utero and even can help to view blood flow in the fetus.
There are three main types of Doppler Ultrasounds and these are Continuous, Duplex and Color.
- Continuous Doppler Ultrasound: Continuous Doppler ultrasound is also referred as Bedside Ultrasound, which uses to reflect sound waves as diagnostic tool. The doctor uses it to listen to the reflected sounds. Doppler Ultrasound is mainly used for a quick diagnosis and even use to listens to the restrictions in blood flow.
- Duplex Doppler Ultrasound: The next type of Doppler ultrasound is Duplex Doppler Ultrasound, which is used by the doctors to study the visual picture with sound waves. Everyone knows that sound waves bounces off blood vessels and that evaluates the direction of blood flow. You can also study the speed at which blood is moving.
- Color Doppler Ultrasound: Another type of Doppler Ultrasound is Color Doppler ultrasound, which is similar to Duplex Doppler Ultrasound. It is a picture that is created from sound waves. Owing to this ultrasound, a color picture of blood flow speed and movement gets created from the sounds.
Usage of Doppler Ultrasound during Pregnancy
Doppler ultrasound is used in various diagnostic purposes like to study the pregnancy and fetal status. Today, doctors often use such ultrasound during pregnancy as though it they can check the fetal umbilical blood flow and even the blood flow in the heart and brain. The doctors can also perfectly determine the restricted blood flow and explain the fetal abnormalities. Doppler ultrasound that is being used by the doctors as different applications and that includes, the detection as well as the measurement of decreased or obstructed blood flow to the legs.
Why It Is Done?
Doppler ultrasound is done for various purposes and these are mentioned below:
- Study the blood clots and blocked or narrowed blood vessels in the body.
- Check the problem caused by atherosclerosis of the lower limbs.
- You can also check varicose veins or other vein problems.
- You can also find out the amount of blood flow to kidney or liver.
- Positively monitor the blood flow after blood vessel surgery.
- It is by the Doppler ultrasound you can find the presence and the location of arterial plaque.
- You can also check the health of a fetus an even check the blood flow in the umbilical cord.